For many women approaching menopause, it can be scary, unpredictable, and uncomfortable. Between the hot flashes and the mood swings, it is no wonder why women seek out therapies to help them through it. An effective treatment plan can include hormone therapy and physical activity, but also equally effective is many herbal remedies. Here are 5 natural herbs that can help cool down hot flashes and make menopause a little more tolerable.
- Black Cohosh – This well-known herbal treatment for menopause contains phytoestrogens, a compound that actually imitates the body’s own estrogen. It has proven success with both hot flashes and night sweats.
- Dong quai – This particular herb acts much like Black Cohosh, using phytoestrogens to help regulate the body’s reaction to lower estrogen levels, also helping with hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.
- Flaxseed – Flaxseed may be the most popular herbal remedy for menopause symptoms. It is loaded with estrogen-like plant chemicals called lignans that have been shown to effectively cut the intensity of hot flashes by 57%.
- Evening Primrose Oil – While it doesn’t have a huge scientific background, this herb oil contains an omega-6 essential fatty acid called gamma-linolenic acid that can significantly reduce hot flashes and decrease breast tenderness during menopause.
- Soy – Soy in its purest forms (Tofu, soybeans, and soymilk) help increase bone density and strength. Studies have shown that women’s bones lose density, dexterity, and strength during menopause. Adding soy to treatment options can help reduce the risk of bone injury during and after menopause.
With so many options that can help with the big menopause offenders, every woman should be able to find some herbal remedy to help ease them through the big change without the heavy risks and side effects involved with hormone treatment.
- About Everyday Health Media, LLC., 2013