Flower essences were first created by Dr. Edward Bach in the 1920’s and 1930’s and are considered a part of vibrational medicine, very similar to homeopathy. The collection that Dr. Bach created consists of 38 essences from plants and flowers as well as a blend called Rescue Remedy. Being a deeply spiritual man attuned to his intuition, Dr. Bach had the belief that it was due to a negative state of mind that was at the core of all illness. He left his very successful medical practice to pursue the healing properties of the flowers.
How They Work
These remedies work on an energetic level as emotional catalysts in restoring the balance in the whole body system. They will subtly restore peace, sense of well being and transforming the negative states associated with the essence into positive states. One takes the chosen remedy as designated by the Flower Essence practitioner or by personal choice after reading and associating the negative qualities associated with each essence. To administer the appropriate remedy you can do any of the following:
- Mix 4 drops of chosen essence in glass of water, and each sip of water will be a dose.
- Place in a spray bottle of pure filtered water and mist over body or sleeping area.
- Place drops along the spine where there are many acupressure points.
- Place on area of injury, such as a strain, bruise, ect. (commonly used with Rescue Remedy).
- Place 4 drops under the tongue.
The benefits of using flower essences are many. They are safe, non toxic, and simple to use in any life situation. They can also be used with pets and plants!
If there is sensitivity to alcohol, the essences may cause a problem as organic brandy is used as a preservative. If one chooses to make a blend of essences, it is best to use no more than 6 essences in the blend.
Flower essences are wonderful tools that will subtly and gently assist in restoring balance, peace and a sense of emotional well being. They are quite simple to use and naturally complement any other therapy. Since Dr. Bach’s creation of the original 38 essences there have since been many other essences created that are also extremely useful in restoring emotional harmony.
- The Flower Essence Repertory by Patricia Kaminski and Richard Katz:
- Vibrational Medicine by Dr. Richard Gerber
- Advanced Bach Flower Therapy by Dr. Gotz Blome